Sunday, February 22, 2009

Kids Write the Dardest Things



Grading papers is one of my least favorite things about my job. It seems as though the pile never ends. But every once in while I get a student who makes grading papers totally worth it. Here are a few mistakes students have made in the last couple of weeks that made me laugh out loud.


We read an article about Abraham Lincoln since this is the 200th anniversary of his birthday. While answering an open ended question about what Abraham Lincoln is remembered for one student wrote this:
"He is remembered for ending slavery and because he is 200 years old."
Do you think is a chance this kid thinks Abraham Lincoln is still alive and kicking?!

We made a movie poster for a novel we read called Loser. On the poster the students wrote a review of the book. When writing the words self esteem and student wrote
"self of steam"

This last one didn't come from my classroom. I went to a conference on Saturday and it was shared there. A first grade teacher gave her class a worksheet. There was one student in the class who was quite upset for getting yet another worksheet. So, the student decides to write a note to the teacher and leave it on her desk. This is what the note said:
i dont lik workshits
Keep in mind, when kids first learn to write their spelling is very inventive. You have to give the kids props for being phonetically correct!!

Maybe it is just a teacher thing, but I thought these incidents were hilarious and it is running into moments like these that make my job so enjoyable.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Ha, "self of steam." That's hilarious! I don't know how people keep straight faces when kids say such funny things.

K. D. Montgomery said...

Megan that is hilarious. I don't blame the kid in first grade. I hate workshits too.

kaysi van dyke fox said...

so funny!! kids are so blunt and just say it how it is! hahaha.