Sunday, May 25, 2008

Change, Change, Change

My normal uneventful life has been somewhat eventful these last couple of weeks. They say change is a good thing. If that is true then my life is supposedly going great!!

The Missionary
My little brother left for the MTC last Wednesday. He is going to Kiev Ukraine. He will be a stellar missionary but I still worry about him getting enough to eat, staying warm at night, etc. Brett has more personality than anyone I have ever met (if you have ever seen any of his movies he and his friends made you would know what I mean). He is very likable and gets along with just about everybody. The Ukraine is so far away and two years is a long time. It takes a lot faith and trust in the Lord to know that that is where he needs to be.

Student Teaching
I have survived my first week of student teaching. I am at Carwright Elementary School in a 4th grade classroom. The teacher is going to be really great to work with and will make the experience quite enjoyable. I haven’t done any actual teaching yet but in the past week I have gotten to know the students and the classroom environment and look forward to spending the summer with them. I had the students fill out an interest survey to help me get to know them better. One of the questions was, “What subject are you good at?” One of the students answered English, but spelled it “Inglish”. I laughed out loud when I read it –maybe he is not as good as he thinks he is! The kids all have a lot of personality and are pretty well behaved. I thought I would have all of their names down after the first week but there are 29 students and it doesn’t help that there is a Karen, Caroline, Catherine and Kaitlin –I am having a little trouble with those ones.

Moving
Don't get too excited, I am not moving out of my house, just into a different room. My brother, Andy and his family are moving here from California. And since they haven’t found a house yet they are going to live here. I don't mind moving rooms at all, there is just one small problem -the closet in the room I am moving into is smaller than mine. It is not that I am a total shopaholic, I just have a hard time getting rid of clothes. I have clothes that I have had since I was a freshman in high school. I haven’t worn them in years but I can’t bear to part with them. I keep them with the mind set that maybe one day the occasion will arise where I will need that particular item. So this past weekend I have had to make some big decisions and part with a lot of clothes that I am not ready to part with (sigh).

2 comments:

Jen said...

My brother-in-law went to Ukraine too! How exciting. They're going there this summer if you want them to give your brother a hug. :)

And I was so excited for a second when I saw "moving." But moving into a new room is fun too.

Hooray for having one week of student teaching done. Are you enjoying it? I bet it's so different to be in a classroom with all those faces staring at you. And after all the schooling, it really is scary to actually start using your degree. Exhilirating, but scary.

Monica McCoy said...

Wow. I am glad that student teaching is coming along. I have a hard time getting rid of clothes too! Good luck with that.