Saturday, September 27, 2008

11 year olds aren't so innocent

Well, I haven't posted on here in a long time. I have been a little pre occupied with work and life has gotten a little bit more hectic. But I have survied my first 5 weeks of teaching. Overall I am not as stressed out as I thought I would be (Don't get me wrong I am definitiely stressed out). I make mistakes everyday and am probably screwing up these kids for the rest of their lives. My 6th graders LOVE to talk and talk and talk. I have tried calling home and giving students detention but they won't stop talking! I think I am pretyt tough with them -tough but fair. I am just taking it one day at a time. I have already had a fight in my room. Well, they didn't actually hit each other but these two kids (they looked like they could be 14 or 15 not 11) walked up to each other and got really close and saying things like "Yeah, let's fight, let's go" I ran a kid down to the office and the campus monitors and assistant principal came down and broke it up. These two boys have been out of school for fighting 3 or 4 times this year already and we are only 5 weeks into the year -I don't think they are going to last too much longer.

The other teachers I work with have been so helpful and have really taken me under their wings. I feel very blessed to have so much support. It also helps that my dad was in education for over 30 years and is able to give me some great advice on those days when I feel like I have lost all control of my students.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I don't know how you teachers do it. If kids started fighting and I was a teacher, I'd just let them pummel each other and stay around the make sure it was a fair fight. Little buggers.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, though. I can't wait for a longer, in-person update. We're almost due, right?

Chris and Shelly said...

Hang in there you sweet thang! Those rotten kids are just trying to show off becuase they think you are hot!

Hibbard Family said...

I agree with Shelly - they're trying to show off their manliness to you!! Lets just hope the girls don't get jealous and try to fight you!! haha! Keep up the good work ;)