Friday, July 25, 2008

To grandmother's house we go

My sister, Stacey, recently posted on her blog some memories she has of my grandma and her house in Panaca, NV (If you have never heard of it, it is a little town in Lincoln county between Pioche and Caliente). My grandma passed away in February of 2007. But I felt like she was already gone the last few years of her life. She suffered from Dementia and Alzheimer’s. I feel so grateful to have such fond memories of her before she got sick.

when I was little I loved going to Panaca. My grandma's house was like a mansion! There were rooms everywhere and it was the best house to play hide-and-go seek in. Depsite the fact that I had cousins and sisters just a few years older than me, the only kid I got to play with was my little brother. Appearently I wasn't good enough to play with the older girls. I remember one time my aunt made my cousin play with me and she wouldn't let me do anything I wanted to do; we had to play by her rules. Looking back now it is really funny, but at the time I always wished for the day that the older girls would let me play them. Thant's ok though, because Brett was always a fun playmate!


My grandma was the best cook. And I swear, she was always in the kitchen making something. Still, to this day, whenever I smell certain foods I feel like I am back in grandma's kitchen, sitting on a bar stool and watching her hum as she cooked. (My grandma always hummed while she cooked.) But she did have a temper. You could often find her swearing under her breath or telling the kids to "get out of the damn kitchen."

I loved going into her room and going through all of her things. She had tons of scarves and necklaces and nail polish and lotions, and rings, everything to keep a little girl busy. My grandma was an "Avon lady" and had tons of Avon stuff around her house.

My grandma had the most beautiful yard filled with flowers. If we ever visited in the spring we could always count on seeing tulips in her front yard.

The first thing I wanted to do when I got to Panaca was go to the "merc" (the little grocery store in Panaca). They had a penny candy section where you could get all sorts of little candies for a penny. Grandma kept a jar in her kitchen where she put her spare change. She would let me borrow one of her coin purses to fill up with coins and off I went to walk to the Merc.

Memories of Panaca:

  • Eating ginger snaps out of the cookie jar
  • Waking up to the smell of "Hot Cakes"
  • Helping grandma make her famous focaccia bread. (I always got to make the holes on top)
  • Sitting at the bar watching her cook
  • Being yelled at to go outside and play
  • Playing baseball in the big field behind her house
  • Climbing Court Rock
  • Moss fights in the spring (natural swimming pool)
  • Learning how to drive
  • Being banished to the sun room to eat ( stole that one from Stacey)
  • Closing off the basement to make it pitch dark and playing games.
  • Eating Swan's ice cream bars and being yelled at for eating to many
  • Being yelled at for eating...period
  • Sitting by a nice warm fire place
  • Sitting in the big blue recliner chair in the sun room, eating my penny candies and watching cartoons with Brett

  • Unfortunately things change, houses get torn down and people die. The sweet memories of our childhood are all we have left to remember good times by. I am so thankful for the wonderful memories I have of Panaca and my grandma, Laura Marie.


    5 comments:

    Jen said...

    I love your new layout! It's way cute. And that post is really sweet. Grandparent memories are great. That's fun of you to share.

    Also, you and your sisters look so much alike! How funny.

    The Utley's said...

    I lOVE your new blog, meggie! It was fun to read your memories. I forgot about schwan's ic cream...sorry for not including you with the big girls. It made me feel bad to read that...buy on the other hand grandma never gave me money in a coin purse to go to the merc...but then again I wasn't one of her favorites.

    Foxs said...

    Jen, ok, so the layout only took me 10 years to fingure out. (I finally got a blogger tutorial.) You and your sisters look exactly alike too. I think it is interesting how other people see sibling resemblences...I don't think my sisters and I look that much alike, especially in that picture :)

    Hibbard Family said...

    No I don't think we look much alike at all. But anyway, I also feel bad about leaving you out - and a lot of other things, i was a HORRIBLE sister, sorry! Grandma never gave me any money, I'd go search through random drawers and take what I could find. Whenever I smell AVON I think of laura marie.....

    Chris and Shelly said...

    I love this post. I'm sorry about your grandma, she was a sweet lady. I can't believe you didn't mention anything about _________. For some odd reason his name has slipped my brain!! But the cute guy you had a crush on!!